Saturday 26 November 2016

Adventure Day

It was a very wet and bumpy ride to the mainland of Belize due to huge waves crashing over the stern.  Some people in the boat got thoroughly
soaked, but they were good sports.



Two hours later we were ready for a delicious breakfast.  This time I captured the traditional Johnny Cake before devouring the biscuit stuffed with scrambled egg and bacon.








First stop—zip lining. I'd never tried this sport before, and was a little nervous. It was all right. Fun to be so high up in the canopy of the rain forest, zipping over a river far below.  I was mostly focused on the speed I needed to maintain, and yet land on the next platform without having to be pulled in. I did it!


getting my gear on
coming in for a landing
Terry's ride








Next came cave tubing. We had never heard of this sport, but it's just what it sounds like. A group of eight or so tubes was linked together, and pulled through a cave with stalactites dripping off the ceiling.








 That was so peaceful, floating along and staring up at the ceiling of the cave. I was sorry when the opening came into view again. The best part was swimming in the river for the short distance to our starting point. The water was so wonderful! I don't think I've ever been in a river so warm, yet refreshing. 


DCIM101GOPROGOPR3789.
Terry on the right
















When we got to our destination some students started jumping into the river. Without missing a beat I said to Terry, “Hold my glasses; I'm jumping off the rock.” Other people jumped off and survived, so I figured it was safe. What a rush!

















The Mayan Ruins at Altun Ha were a bit bigger than the first ones we saw several weeks back. The weather was cooler, so we climbed up the steps along with the others. 

No birds to be seen; late afternoon is not the best birding time. Terry did get a picture of a Bat Falcon, which we had seen before.
An exhausting but wonderful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment