Saturday 18 February 2012

Adventures for Rainy Days

The ladies were supposed to paint on Thursday, after we had cleaned and vacuumed motel units for 3 days.  It poured rain, however, just as we were to begin work, so we thought, "We can't possibly paint in this weather!"
The water is over my rubber shoes
Instead, we drove to a Wellness Event at the hospital in Foley, a few miles down the road. I had wanted to have my cholesterol checked: didn't know my next address, had to put my permanent one, so won't know the results for weeks.
On Friday, we set off again with Ed and Patty, despite the threat of showers.  First, a stop at a farm in Elberta, near the camp, where homemade cheese was sold, then a Baldwin County museum showing "old stuff", well organized displays of clothing, furniture, kitchen implements, and school furniture from days gone by.

I didn't know a dunce cap really existed.
Can you read how Crayola got its name?
Next, a train museum, then an old hospital that reminded me of the New Denver hospital, then gumbo for lunch at the bowling alley.  Terry had to try ten pin bowling!  I collected my ice cream prize at an old fashioned soda fountain in an old fashioned drug store where a model train continually ran around a track above us.
Beautiful "swamp" and walking trail at the park
At a park in Foley, the rain held off so that Terry and I could play tennis for half an hour.  From the pond, Patty came to get us.  "Come and see the huge turtle!" A man had thrown dog food into the water, bringing out the turtles.  There were slider turtles, as well as a huge snapping turtle.  You could hardly see them because of the algae on their backs, but they did come to the surface. Another "surprise" of the day, as Patty put it. A full day!
Snapping turtle about 18" long

No comments:

Post a Comment