Monday 30 January 2012

Farewell, Camp Loma de Vida

After we scrubbed the large kitchen, we women took turns baking cookies for the summer camps.  Total cookies: about 2,000. Those of us not baking tried our hand at beading. Here is a necklace and matching earrings I fashioned from"turquoise" beads, but that was enough beading for the time being. A fellow SOWER showed me how to organize the photos we have on the computer into folders; now every photo taken in 2011-12 is categorized for easy reference. Only a few more years to organize!
We had heard of "Ropa Usadas"; they have to be seen to be believed. A machine in a huge warehouse compacts the used clothing into giant bales, and they are sent to third world countries. Here I am sitting in a mountain  of used clothing.  You can pick out any finds, and pay for them by the pound.  For 50 cents I chose an armful of colourful fabric. We also checked out what was supposed to be a big RV yard sale, but it was disappointing.  We were not able to get there early enough, and everything was picked over.  None of us bought anything.  I was happy to be forced into practising my driving on the freeway, though, since our vehicle carried the most passengers. 
 If we ever return to Camp Loma de Vida, there will be big changes, as volunteers finish what the men were able to start.  Some of the men framed the walls of a wash house for the RV park for volunteers at the new site.  Terry and his work buddy laid about 2000 square feet of laminate flooring at the director's house. The men worked hard.   

1 comment:

  1. I gave Lois your blog address so I am sure she will enjoy your picture. I will show it to Carole too.

    ReplyDelete