Thursday 26 January 2012

Armadillo



Ever since I taught the phonics programme in which the "ah" sound was depicted by "armadillo", I've wanted to see one of these interesting creatures.  Being in Texas was my opportunity.  In the story, the armadillo curled up into a ball, protected by the special armour God gave him.  When one of our fellow SOWERs said he'd seen one in the bushes behind our campsite, I would scout the area daily.  All I found were little holes all over the ground where these animals root for insects.  One day Phil called us over to see it.  There he was!  I was so excited I ran up to him, expecting him to curl up into a ball.  Instead, he took off like a shot, heading through the underbrush and across an open area before I lost him.  I later found out that the nine-banded armadillo found in the U.S. runs from its enemies, and it's the South American kind that curls up into a ball.  I did have a picture of him running, but accidentally deleted it.  Phil's pictures are far better, and the armadillo didn't run away from him. This armadillo was about 30  cm long.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the US ones also curled up into a ball--learned something new. Bill

    ReplyDelete