Monday 27 April 2020

Notes from the Bird Whisperer



I love it when Nature teaches me something about God.
Terry and I were walking along a shaded path at the edge of a golf course one Spring morning. Birds were just beginning to be active in Alberta, and we were hoping to add to the Year List we keep. Since we had recently returned from Arizona, we hoped to list any local birds which were not necessarily seen down south.
Chick-a-dee-dee!” I heard. We stood still to able to see this energetic little bird as it flitted from branch to branch.
There it is!” We had heard that Chickadees are friendly birds, and would land on an outstretched hand. We decided to try it. Terry stretched out his arm, and I got my phone into position.
Thrilled is an understatement when a Black-capped Chickadee actually landed.


Sorry, friend, we don't have any seeds.”
It didn't seem to matter, the Chickadee just sat there, eyeing us curiously before flying off again.
Further along the path we spotted Boreal Chickadees, who are found more commonly in wooded areas.
"Put out your hand. Let's see if they'll land, too," said Terry.
Sure enough, a Boreal Chickadee landed on my hand. I could clearly see its brown head, as opposed to the Black-capped variety. Its round black eye looked my way as if to say, “I trust you. Don't you have any seeds for me?”
Terry was ready with the phone and captured the special moment.



It was only later that I realized that the Chickadees we encountered that day were a perfect picture of trust. Fearlessly they came to perch, to say hello, and potentially to have their needs supplied. That is what God wants us to do, to simply trust Him as the Chickadees trusted us.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Lots of chickadees around so we'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Chickadees are great little birds. They remember where thousands of food cache sites are throughout the winter. They also add more, or less dee -dees, depending on what they're saying. Love these little birds.

    ReplyDelete