Thursday 24 January 2013

Farewell, January project

Our project at Coachella Valley Rescue Mission is over!  Cam and Terry have finished their beautiful shed.

Betty and I have done a lot of filing in the office, mostly consisting of taking old files from previous years out of drawers and putting them into storage boxes. Then labeling new files for this year.
It's been fun; I enjoyed this change of pace, as I've never done this on a project before.

The most interesting thing the four of us did was to help at a fund-raising golf tournament at a fancy golf course. First, Betty and I filled "goody bags" for the golfers.  The morning of the tournament, our job was: "hole- in- one verifying superintendents", ie, we watched to see if anyone got a hole-in-one.  I stood near the tee box, while Terry was under a tree watching the green.
The prizes were cars, $10,000, and vacations.  Alas, no one quite made it, although there were some close ones.  It wasn't a bad task; I sat in the shade on my golf cart, and enjoyed the sunshine when golfers approached the 6th hole, where we were stationed.

I don't know much about golf, but I did see some interesting birds.  A pair of Roadrunners walked by, coming close enough for me to get a good look at their markings, and the way their tails bobbed up and down.  If I had moved, they would've taken off in a flash. After a delicious lunch (see previous post), we said, "That was a fun day of 'work'!"

No comments:

Post a Comment