Monday 24 September 2012

Kitchen duty

Here at the YWAM base, we're directly across the road from the Ecole Hoteliere, the largest and best hotel management school in the world, we're told. Here, our own little kitchen runs efficiently as well, feeding 100 people for the main meal at noon. Bongwol, Eli, and I were on duty in the kitchen this morning, prepping for lunch. Yesterday I was told, "Alice, you can't wear sandals in the kitchen!" Whoops, I knew that.
I wish Stephen could've seen me in my white coat, black-and white checkered pants, and non-skid, slip-on shoes. First we ladies washed and dried mountains of lettuce leaves, using 2 sinks and a spinner almost the size of a 5 gallon pail.  Eli made a sauce of chicken strips, onions,white wine and flour in a huge rectangular vat , while our next job was to make salad dressing, in a quantity 6 times the recipe.  Mine was an oil with balsamic vinegar and garlic.  Similar to the one I make back home, only I wouldn't normally add Maggi sauce and a Knorr powder with flavour enhancer, ie, msg.  It tasted good on the lettuce leaves though! The salad had no further addition except pumpkin and sunflower seeds.  Sometimes croutons are made to use up the week's bread supply. The chicken was served on a choice of spinach or egg pasta, with tired broccoli on the side.
We're not sure if we're going to be in the kitchen permanently, as the students will all be assigned "ministry opportunities" tomorrow, but our short stint was fun. After prepping for supper, too, my legs were aching as I fell into bed earlier than usual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment