Friday 28 September 2012

Cooking with Rosy

Today's lunch menu was Penang curried fish, rice, and kohlrabi.   I started off by chopping partially thawed fillets into equal sized pieces. The fish was called pangasius, a mild flavored white-fleshed fish farmed in Vietnam.  It was marinated for a while in bottled fish sauce. Next, I started the broth with several jars of red Penang curry paste and crunchy peanut butter! Rosie threw in some beef bouillon powder, and chopped chilies. Mmm!
All mixed together with some water in the big rectangular vat.
After it simmered for a while the fish chunks were added.
Bongwol and Eli had julienned a binful of kohlrabi, and Rosy asked if I wanted to make a white sauce to put over it.  "Sure!" I replied, not really knowing the proportions.  First a huge gob of butter.( Yikes, my cholesterol will really climb; have to keep joining the ladies for zumba once a week. Good thing we're going hiking tomorrow, too)  Rosy sifted some flour into the pot and added milk.  I kept whisking until it looked thick and not lumpy.
It was poured over the steamed kohlrabi. delicious! 
Rosy, our chief cook, is from the Swiss-German part of  the country
Then the vat had to be tipped, but I gently scooped some of the fish first. Bon appetit!  It really was delicious, but I think too spicy for some of the toddlers.  I felt sorry for the people who said they didn't like fish. The idea in this multicultural kitchen is to get the students used to different foods.  The Korean students like this kind of lunch.  It's a pleasure to cook in Rosy's kitchen.  She's so patient and teaches us as we go along.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment