Friday 14 January 2022

A Surprise Visitor

 |

"Where is that sewing kit?" I muttered as I opened cupboard doors in the little cabin at Camp Loma de Vida.

"You've got to be kidding! That wasn't there before!"   I didn't scream, though.

A little snake lay behind Terry's soap caddy. I wondered whether he thought the cord was one of its kind.

I walked next door where the men were working, and, trying to be calm, told Terry, "There's a snake in the cupboard!"

Terry, Don and Gary, carrying a cardboard box, came over to investigate. First, they moved Terry's soap case out of the way.

As it was a bit chilly, the snake was docile, and didn't move.

It was only the size of a garter snake, and had beautiful clear markings on its back.








 Then, using a broom, Don swept the snake into the box. 

He walked the box towards the bush.

"Take it far away!" I emphasized.


I found out it was a harmless Western Rat Snake, quite common, and non-venomous.

The adults can get to 4 to 6 feet long! And their colour darkens.

This must have been a baby, to able to squeeze through the hole near the pipe under the bathroom sink. 

Terry stuffed some insulation from next door, blocking off the space between the pipe and the side of the cupboard.




Once I found out it was just a baby, my alarm melted away. I even felt compassion towards the little snake, trying to escape the cold.

But I'm still cautious every time I open a cupboard door. It's a good thing there are only two cupboards with doors!

Even looking down at our rug makes me look twice! 😀

1 comment: