Monday 15 July 2019

July Hike

Today Terry and I hiked in the J.J. Collett Natural Area near Lacombe, AB.  Our hiking partners, Grant and Marg Sharp, Suzanne's parents, introduced us to the 635 acres set aside for hiking and outdoor education.   The area is classified as Aspen Parkland, a mixture of shrubs, aspen trees, white spruce, on moist, shady hillsides, and open meadows. 
Marg and Terry stride along in front of me as we set off.  We had to keep moving because the mosquitoes wanted to share our blood.  My Young Living citronella oil kept them away from me, as I wore shorts instead of covering my legs.
Bluebells, or Harebells














 Here are some of the flowers I snapped.
Alberta's provincial flower, the Wild Rose
 
Brown-Eyed Susan- Gaillardia


Mountain Daisy?


Northern Bedstraw

Twin-flower
Bunchberry- Dwarf Dogwood
Best of all, was the enormous moose I heard crashing through the underbrush!  Fortunately we didn't meet him on the path, but we stared at each other through the trees.  What looks like sticks above his head is really a huge rack of antlers.

We got our exercise today with 6.6 km, over 11,000 steps, and climbed the equivalent of 25 flights of stairs.  I think the day's high was 23 degrees C.  A satisfying hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment