Sunday 26 November 2017

Saris and School Uniforms











    At the large church on Sunday, we were led to the very first row, as guests of honour. The other ladies on our team were dressed in colourful saris, or tunic tops called kurtis, worn over narrow pants or leggings. I hope I got that right. There I was in my "nice" blouse and my ordinary black capri pants. I felt a bit awkward with the scarf, which just lay draped over my shoulders at that point. The scarf was to be on our heads during prayer.


How will I know when they are actually praying?, I thought to myself. So I put the scarf on my head and flung the end over my shoulder.  That was a good move, as our team was soon called up to the high platform, which was about ten steps up at the front of the church, to be introduced to the congregation.






The Bible college female students all wore similar outfits to each other, very colourful.














 Here are the girls from the orphanage after another service.



The boys from the orphanage wore western clothes.











For ordinary days, the girls looked even more colourful.
We had come to play games with them in the gathering dusk, on the edge of the lawn where the boys played. I hoped they would be safe on the gravel, rocks , and uneven ground.  The guys on our team played a rousing game of soccer, one with the younger boys, then one with the older ones.
We taught the girls how to play 'What time is it Mr. Wolf?' They knew some very rudimentary English, so for the time, would call out a number without putting the "o'clock" in place. The game was very thrilling all the same, as they ran squealing from the Wolf when 'she' called out, "It's lunch time!"

For a special treat from the North American visitors the orphans were given a banana, a samosa, ice cream, and a drink of fruit pop (soda). This was an amazing treat for them, that they get about four times a year.

Terry helps pour the drinks




The girls from the orphanage line up for their drink.













Here are some of the students in the private school in their uniforms, which were a more traditional colour.  Each wears a name tag with which they check in and out of the school electronically. I'm not sure why this little boy has a tuque on, as the temperature was 32 degrees. Could it have something to do with his hair and his religion?

I wondered if this little girl was his sister, as they both had black kohl around their eyes.  I was told it was to ward off evil.
The classrooms were cool enough with fans circulating, so maybe the children didn't mind wearing their sweaters.















Here the younger children are wearing their physical education uniform on Wednesday, giving their dark uniforms a chance to be washed.  The white would be good for reflecting the sun while they were outside.
We didn't see the younger children doing games outside while we were there.








The older children, of grade five or six age, are playing a game Terry had never played before, called Double D. It involved crossing the line delineated by their white runners, and tagging people on the opposite team. I wondered what the parents thought of their children wearing their white socks on the lawn, but it probably wasn't the parents doing the laundry!



The teachers' uniforms were the same pretty sari with a blue blazer worn over top.  Even for Phys Ed.
Thanks Patty, for capturing this teacher in action!

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport, shoes and outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment