Sunday 17 April 2016

Little Palm Berries in the Big Picture


A Big Lesson in Humility

Guest Blog by Terry Burnett

Some palm trees produce, in great abundance, brown, sweetish, pea-sized berries. At our first American project [Gospel Rescue Mission in Tucson, AZ] there were two such trees which dropped these berries on a sand-filled play area for small children. And this was not a small area! Our group leader gave me and another SOWER the task of removing all the berries from the play area. So with a wheelbarrow and a screen and two shovels we heroically commenced to winnow out the seeds. At the end of the day and after 500+ shovelfuls (or so it seemed) of sand and berries we had about one third of the area done. The task wasn't very heroic any more ,nor was it fun!

The next day as we again entered the pen of contention otherwise known as the play area I recalled what the other guys had told me they were doing. In my eyes their tasks were much more interesting and way more profitable for Christ's kingdom than what I was doing. So as I continued to do this “slave” labour, I began to have a little tussle with God as to why I was doing this “dumb” task. It went something like this: surely Lord you have something much more important for me to do for your kingdom than this! 
No reply. 
So I pushed on: Lord, I know I would be much more productive if it was more exciting and easier. 
Still silence. 
OK, Lord have it your way, I begrudgingly moaned.

Well, by the end of the second day we had the back-breaking, boring, useless, make-work-for-nothing task done. By then I was in full rebellion against God: there, Lord, I did it- are you satisfied now? I would like a more significant task next time, thanks. Ironically, I had an even heavier job the next day. However, the Lord is very gracious and sometimes shows us the big picture even when we don't deserve to see it.

The morning arrived and with it came a new dawning for me. The project that we were working was a rescue mission for women and their children. That morning a young mother timidly approached me and asked if I had been the one who cleaned out the play area. In my best macho voice I replied in the affirmative. And this is what she said, “Sir, my daughter is highly allergic to bee stings. Those palm berries attract all kinds of bees so she could never go out and play with her friends for fear of being stung. Now she can go out and play and she wants you to know that she loves you for what you did.” 

Sheepishly, all I could think of was, “OK, Lord I get the picture! Thank you for being patient with me.”

Matthew 25:40 says, The King will reply, Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. 

After reading that, I determined to unquestioningly work for the King for the rest of my SOWER days. And so far it's been awesome!









No comments:

Post a Comment