Thursday 12 March 2015

Israel - day 6 - Nazareth Village



Still in the Galilee area was a stop at Sepphoris, in what is now Zippori National Park. Excavations have uncovered the remains of a large city: a beautiful mosaic floor in a Roman villa displayed intricate mosaics.  The individual mosaics are tiny enough to show incredible detail, and an almost 3D effect.
The most famous of these is a woman's face, called "the Mona Lisa of the Galilee".


 Eighteen different shades of tiny mosaic allowed even a natural blush to appear on the woman's face.
Almond blossoms blooming in mid-February
In nearby Nazareth we climbed a little hill called the Mount of the Precipice.  Its southern face drops off into the Kesulot and Jezreel Valleys below.   Nazareth was Jesus' hometown, and he preached in the synagogue there, saying, "The spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to preach the good news to the poor, to announce release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to deliver those that are opressed, and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord-- the day when salvation and the free favours of God profusely abound." (partly from the Amplified Bible, Luke 4:18, 19)  Although the people listened and marvelled at his words, the crowd later took offence at his further words and drove him towards the edge of the town, to this cliff, and were going to throw him off.   They didn't succeed, however, because Jesus slipped through the crowd.


The precipice

The Nazareth Village was a small area turned into a historical village with people wearing Biblical clothes and enacting Biblical daily occupations.
Anyone could volunteer to work there.











This is "Sarah", grinding her herbs in the little kitchen.  Imagine my surprise when she looked straight at me and said, "I know you!"
"No you don't!  I've never been here before!"
I replied.  Still staring at me, she said, "Kona, Hawaii."  Then I exclaimed, "It's Fritz!"
Lo and behold, we had worked with Fritz and her husband last winter at YWAM on the Big Island of Hawaii.  Everyone around thought my reaction was funny, but I truly didn't recognize her without her glasses and dressed in Biblical garb. (They were not allowed to wear glasses or jewelery)
Ernie and Fritz Warkentin from Winnipeg, MB
Beit Shean was the site of the largest archaeological dig in Israel.  In this ancient city, Saul's body had been nailed to the wall. ( I Samuel 31:10)
Roman bath





Wide city streets with standing columns which had been repaired a bit, after an earthquake toppled them. Someone took our picture, and I left my toque on a rock.  Later, it was too late to go back and get it.









 Close-up of a large paving stone showing the chariot grooves worn into it as people rode up and down the streets.
 






I took a picture of this heart-shaped indentation on the street.  I'm sure the rock wasn't pink when I looked at it, but on the picture it was!
Since it was February 14, I call it my valentine from God.  He was showing me how much He loves me!

No comments:

Post a Comment