Thursday 27 November 2014

The Holidays Begin

The parking lot was deserted.  Terry thought he would take me to Trader Joe's, a store I had somehow missed during the last three weeks here in Tucson.  He had to get gas anyway before we left in the morning.
"It's American Thanksgiving; I don't think it'll be open."  I said.
It wasn't.
"At least let's get some milk at Walmart; it's sure to be open."  We had just come back from a "holiday" so needed a few things for the fridge. 
On our way across the parking lot we noticed a few people sitting on folding chairs outside a store.
"What are they doing?" I wondered.
"It can't be!  Are they really waiting in line for the big Black Friday sale tomorrow?"  It was only
 4:00 pm!
I should have asked them, but I already knew the answer.   

Walmart was pretty deserted, but it was open. The air conditioning was on full blast, and the air around the dairy case raised goosebumps on my bare arms.  I should have worn my hoodie I thought.  It was November 27, and I could hear "...walking in a winter wonderland" over the sound system.  Here I was in shorts and a t-shirt. The next song was a real Christmas carol.  Already? I thought.  A perfectly white, fake tree hung with shiny green balls graced the produce section.   The occasional shopper appeared; Mom was in a dress and heels, the little girl also in her party dress.  At the bakery counter a couple of men consulted by phone over which pie to buy for dinner.  "See you soon!"  they sang out to their caller.
Terry had requested a pumpkin pie, so I got that as well as two tomatoes, a cucumber, some apples, and  the milk of course.  We were having turkey for dinner.  Turkey wieners, that is, and sauerkraut.  We'd already had our thanksgiving dinner more than a month ago in Canada.   
"Happy Holidays!" the cashier cheerily called out as I paid for my groceries.  I had always wondered why Americans used the term "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".  Now I see that Thanksgiving is included and both holidays extend the season. Not to mention Hanukah during the same time frame.  It's a far cry from my childhood when Advent was celebrated as a preparation time for the coming of Christ, and Christmas didn't officially begin till December 25th. 
How things have changed!



1 comment: