Friday 25 October 2013

Kavadi



Sunday morning at the Jesus Praise Centre in Kigali, Rwanda.  Looking up as I entered the dim, small room, I noticed the decoration hanging from the ceiling.
"That's toilet paper! "  I said to myself.
"No, it's not."  It looked too sturdy around the edges.  Surely it was some kind of bunting.  I looked more closely.
"Yes it IS!"  It really was toilet paper.
As usual, we were all called up to the front and introduced, and stayed there to join in the singing and clapping. I don't remember how we could've been singing, as the songs weren't usually in English.


Then we found out a baby was to be dedicated.  So we sat down.


 A drama was being enacted.  An usher ran to lift the baby from the hard-packed dirt floor.  No, no, the mother gestured.  This was part of the story.  She apparently was explaining how she hadn't made it to the hospital, and the baby was born on the ground.  She was bringing the baby this day in thanksgiving and gratitude to the Lord. 
We were called up to the front again to pray for the baby. I quickly handed my camera to a young black man to take pictures.
We're not sure if it really was a dedication ceremony for all babies, but now there were three more mothers with their babies standing beside us.


All of a sudden I was handed this precious bundle.  Juggling the microphone in one hand, I asked the baby's name.
"Kavadi"  replied the mother.  I thought it was a girl, but now I see the ribbons on the blanket are blue.  Never mind, I think of Kavadi as a girl.  Such a tiny mite. I touched her head.  Soft hair, so soft, framed her face. It felt like a lamb's wool powder puff.  Choking up with emotion at the honour, I did my best to speak a blessing over this little lamb.  That was a new experience.


Later in the service the mother was calmly nursing Kavadi.  I wanted to see her one last time,  but after the service they had disappeared.

Jesus said,  Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.








No comments:

Post a Comment