Saturday 9 March 2013

Big Rock in the Jar

Terry made reference to an object lesson in his devotional message to the SOWER group last week.  A jar was filled with three or four rocks, and the question asked, "Is the jar full?"  It appeared to be.  Gravel was added, however, to fill in the spaces.  "Is it full now?"  No, sand was added.  Surely the jar was full now!  But another thing was squeezed in - water.  Now the jar was really full. The point was, if you didn't get the big rocks in first, you wouldn't get them in at all.  Terry was using the illustration to say, "Keep your eyes on the 'big picture', in other words, persevere."
I was challenged.
My life is like that jar. The 'big rock' I want to fit into my life is writing, and having it published.
A few years ago, when I was only working half time, I took a writing course. I had always kept a journal, and I love to apply Bible truth to my life.  I wanted to be able to teach others, and it's easier for me to express myself through writing than speaking face to face.  The course taught how to write articles and short stories with the aim of having them published in various magazines. Even Christian magazines are listed in the market guide .  After I had successfully completed the course, I didn't take the next step, however, thinking my life was full enough.

Now that I'm retired, I have "all the time in the world".  Working with the SOWERs is great, but women only work three hours a day.  What about the rest of the time?  It's very easy to fill my life with sand, gravel and water, the little things.  There's washing dishes several times a day, sweeping up the ever-present dirt on the floor, and other mundane tasks.  Thinking up interesting things to eat and and cook to stay healthy is challenging, and cooking from scratch definitely takes time. I also need to walk and read my Bible every day, and keep up with  my friends. How about reading a good book, or looking up stuff on the Internet? These are not really little things, but they always demand my attention. I get distracted so easily.
I can't seem to fit the writing rock in because I'm going about it backwards, thinking I have to fit the rock in after putting in the sand and gravel. The sand, gravel and water take up all the space in my life.
No!  I need to make time for the rock first, and then fit the sand, gravel and water around it.  It's a discipline I'm working towards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment