Thursday 29 March 2012

Fair are the meadows...

Today's and yesterday's roadtrips through Georgia and Tennessee reminded me of an old hymn we used to sing--  "Fair are the meadows, fairer still the woodlands
                         Robed in the blooming garb of spring..."
In some of the areas the trees were already all in leaf.  The most beautiful sight, however, were the
Flowering Dogwood trees. I hadn't seen similar trees since we lived in British Columbia many years ago.  When I first saw them along the highway, I exclaimed, "Those are dogwood trees!"  Not only were there clouds of white in the woods, but beautiful pink trees in people's gardens and in the city. Some of them were actually pink dogwood, but there were also peach, almond, and redbud blossoms.













It had been a trying day.  First of all, we were driving farther than we had intended, and we were tired.
Then Terry had been told his Visa card was at risk, and ended up having it cancelled, and the number changed.  At least we still had my card. That means I'm the one who goes into each gas station to activate the pump and pay for our gas.
From somewhere I remembered that the dogwood flower had special symbolism.  The four white "petals", which are really bracts, are opposite each other sort of in the shape of a cross.  When I looked closely at them, I could see the little red spot which reminded me of the blood Jesus shed for us.

 The rest of the verse in the hymn:

"Jesus is brighter, Jesus is purer
Who makes the woeful heart to sing."
 
For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky.  Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities. --his eternal power and divine nature.  So they have no excuse for not knowing God.  Romans 1:20 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. We are enjoying the dogwoods in Missouri also--NTM project. Thanks for the comments on the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete